(Makes about 8 cups)
The flours in this recipe are very flexible - I recommend using at least 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour - but for the rest, feel free to substitute your favorite flour or use just a couple of different ones. This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled so make extra to keep for yourself!
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups barley flour
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon or pumpking pie spice (optional)
Whole Grain Pancakes
- 1 1/4+ cups milk (dairy or nondairy)
- 2 tablespoons oil or melted unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat or Multigrain Pancake and Waffle Mix
Makes 6 servings (2 pancakes per serving)
Note: If I did any canning during the summer, I like to give a jar of homemade jam or applesauce along with the pancake mix. Maple syrup in a pretty bottle or fruit preserves from your local farmstand or gourmet shop is also a nice accompaniment.
Millet Crunch Granola
Makes 8 servings
Granola is great as a breakfast cereal, topping for fruit or yogurt, or on its own as a crunchy snack. Your friends will love this version that is packed with protein and essential fatty acids. It's cooked over low heat to preserve the nutrients.
- 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup uncooked millet
- 1/3 cup agave or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Optional: 1/2 to 1 cup dried fruit (raisins, dried berries, etc.)
Pour granola into jars or plastic bags and tie with a pretty ribbon.