Thursday, March 10, 2011

I'm in love!


. . . with my new slow cooker. Dinner #3 was another big hit with the family. Here's what I did.

White Bean Soup

2 cups dried navy beans
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 quart vegetable stock
3 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cups frozen corn
4 cups chopped fresh spinach
sea salt and black pepper to taste

Soak beans in lots of water overnight (I do this right in the slow cooker, why bother with another dish.) Drain soak water and place beans in slow cooker turned on to low. Add onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, stock, water, oregano, and basil. Cover and cook on low about 8 hours (or longer). Stir in corn and spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook another 15 minutes or so, until corn and spinach are cooked.

My family liked this topped with parmesan (dairy or nondairy version).

Serves 8

3 comments:

Sybil Nelson said...

I soo love my slow cooker. I use it at least twice a week.

Unknown said...

I hear you. Last week we had some kind of appointment every day after school and this week I'm running our book fair. The slow cooker is the only reason I've been able to give me family hot meals this week . . . otherwise it would have been takeout pizza or cold cereal I think.

Anonymous said...

Oh you will love your slow cooker. I recently had to buy a new one and discovered that the newer models seem to cook at a higher heat than the old ones did. That may be why the borrowed one didn't cook the split peas. I never could make split pea soup in my old one, but the new one makes wonderful split pea soup. Enjoy!