Sunday, May 28, 2006

More Vegan Family Favorites

I tried a few more recipes.

Granola - oats, pecans, coconut, sesame seeds, dried fruit, etc.

My experience: I followed the recipe exactly except used grapeseed oil instead of margarine. I also did not heat the oil and syrup first but just mixed everything together. It was quick and easy to make, tasted great and was not too sweet. Very good!

Winter Veggie Chowder - carrots, potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, broth and soymilk.

My experience: This was great - even in the summer. My husband and kids really, really liked it.

Sweet Potato Curry: Sauted sweet potatoes with a coconut milk/peanut butter sauce.

My experience: Since I'm the only one in the family that likes curry, this what I did. I made a big stirfry of sweet potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, tofu, zucchini. I made the sauce as directed with the minimum amount of curry paste suggested (1 tsp.). The only alternation I made was to add a little soy sauce to the curry sauce. I took about a third of the stirfry and mixed with the sauce. The rest I tossed with soy sauce, rice vinegar and a splash of honey for the non-curry eaters. I served both versions with brown rice. Everybody was happy! The curry was great - the sauce is really, really tasty and the spice was just the perfect hotness for me. I had enough for several lunches afterward.

No comments: