Tuesday, December 11, 2007

McDonalds advertising on report cards!

Last week, elementary school students in Seminole County, Florida received their report cards in envelopes adorned with Ronald McDonald promising a free Happy Meal to students in kindergarten through fifth grade with good grades, behavior, or attendance.

Targeting children directly with the message that doing well in school should be rewarded by a Happy Meal undermines parents’ efforts to encourage healthy eating. If parents want to reward their kids for getting good grades, they should be able to decide what is appropriate. They don't need any help from a corporation whose real concern is its bottom line.

Visit http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/621/t/4886/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=21959 and tell McDonald's to stop advertising on report cards.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That reminds me of the time I took my young son for a shot (I'm permanently on the fence about vaxing and ended up doing selective vax). He was given a McD coupon for a free ice cream cone. I mentioned that we were vegan and they offered one for french fries instead! I declined it too and wrote a letter to the ped saying that I felt it was inappropriate for her office to encourage the eating of junk food. She didn't respond to the letter, but the next time I saw her I mentioned it. She said something to the effect that most people aren't so extreme in their dietary beliefs. I disagree. We may be extreme in our healthy diet, but "most" people are extreme in their UNhealthy diets!

Unknown said...

I'm right there with you Jamie. I get so frustrated at my girls school - they have this program where the kids get a slip of paper when they show good character - being respectful, helpful, etc. Then at the monthly assembly they draw slips from a jar and give the kids a prize - you guessed it - a certificate to a fast food restaurant. Ug.

Though I must say, our pricipal is awesome. After I spoke up about it, he now offers a choice of a poster as well.

But still - I wish authorities like doctors and schools would set an example and not offer those things at all.