Saturday, August 15, 2009

Fresh Tomato Sauce

I'm trying to eat as much locally-grown produce as possible so when we had a family pizza night, I figured I'd make sauce from our own tomatoes and herbs rather than canned stuff. It came out so good that I thought I'd share.

Fresh Tomato Sauce

5-6 medium tomatoes, diced

4 green onions, sliced thin

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano

salt and pepper to taste

 Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. 


For the pizzas, I got round flatbreads at Trader Joe's. We spread the tomato sauce of the flatbreads, and then added other veggies I had roasted in the oven -- eggplant, summer squash, onions, bell peppers--as well as olives and mushrooms. Then sprinkle with cheese if you like (it's good without too). Bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes.

This sauce would also work tossed into hot pasta, I bet. Maybe with some toasted pine nuts . . .

No comments: