Monday, February 08, 2010

Local Grain CSA


Well this is exciting. We now have a local grain CSA here on the Central Coast of California. It's called With The Grain and run by John DeRosier in Paso Robles. Every two weeks I'll get a box with an assortment of local grains. My first box contained hard winter wheat flour, spelt flour, soft white wheat flour, Khorasan wheat flour, rolled oats, and cracked millet.

We had the cracked millet cooked into a porridge for breakfast Friday. We often have whole millet porridge but this cooks a lot faster and was creamy and delicious. This weekend, my daughters and I made some bread using the recipe from Laurel's Bread Book. We used a combination of the winter wheat and spelt flours and made one plain loaf and one cinnamon raisin. Both were absolutely delicious!

11 comments:

Allison Fouse said...

That is fantastic! I wish we had resources like that farther down south.

Buffy said...

so cool -- I'm still conniving a way to come and live close to you. :)

Jennifer Olson | Pretty Eats Blog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Olson | Pretty Eats Blog said...

So exciting!! I'll have to check them out!

Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) said...

Hi Cathe,

Would you mind sending me the contact info for this CSA? I couldn't find it on the internet. It sounds so cool!!!

Carrie

Unknown said...

Try johnd@withthegrain.org

Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) said...

Thanks Cathe for John's contact info.

Kelly @ IdealistMom.com said...

That does look delicious! Now you've got me eying some bread when I'm about to go to bed...

Kevin Stephens said...

There are two grain CSA's in San Luis County. Huasna Valley Farm has one as well. www.huasnavalleyfarm.com

Unknown said...

I just heard that on Facebook as well. Thanks for the info, Kevin.

Anonymous said...

Aliison here is a So. Cal. option http://www.huasnavalleyfarm.com/Home.html